Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The best thing for dinner

Can I just share with you one of my favorite dinners? It's Breakfast! Breakfast for dinner. I absolutely looooooove Denny's French slam-anytime of day. Infact I'm getting the urge to grab my purse and head down there right now. To bad I know my 5 year old wouldn't sit still long enough for me to enjoy the meal. Not only that, but it's 2:45 p.m. and she's still in her panties. In the meantime I guess I'll just have to settle for drooling over this picture. I made some french toast the other night for dinner, and even had my homemade strawberry syrup with it. Okay, I didn't set out to can a bunch of strawberry syrup-it just happened when I didn't add the pectin to my strawberry jam mixture. There you go. Nothing like the pic above, but still good.



There's just one little problem with my love of breakfast (other than the insane amount of sugar-yes, I'm a sugar addict, but I'll save that for a later post). Here's the problem; while my kids and I love breakfast for dinner my husband is not a big fan. Well, okay, he's not a fan at all. I really can't blame him-after working a long, hard day he wants to come home to meat and potatoes. Yes, he's a manly man. Infact, I have learned early on that I need to call him and tell him when I plan on making breakfast for dinner so that he can run and grab himself a burger-that way I can avoid a little crankiness :-) (love you honey).


I could honestly schedule breakfast for dinner once a week. When I was a little girl my mom would do just that, every Saturday night, and us kids totally looked forward to pancakes or french toast. Infact, I had a friend in Jr. high who's mom did the same thing, and she even took it a step further by making waffles and letting her kids spread chocolate frosting on them. I spent the night there once and got to experience chocolate covered waffles-yummmy. I tried to convince my mom to let us do the same, but she wasn't for it. I have never actually tried that, probably because my waffle iron bit the dust years ago, but I think I would if it weren't for the fact that an open container of chocolate frosting wouldn't last long in our house. Yes, I'm that kind of mother. I give my children ice cream for breakfast-once in a blue moon.

2 comments:

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

What is wrong with our husbands?! I love breakfast for dinner too and it was something we did fairly often in my house growing up too. In fact, if mom was ever gone and dad was in charge of dinner for some weird reason that night, you could count on having breakfast for dinner. My brothers loved it, I loved, my parents loved it... why can't our husbands love it?! Sometimes I just want pancakes and eggs for dinner! :)

Erika Cluff said...

Paul is the same way!!! He gives me that "are you kidding" look when I announce we are having breakfast for dinner. Ha.ha. I could eat breakfast for any meal of the day - especially a french toast slam.