Tuesday, May 12, 2009

As requested. . . recipe for chocolate eclair cake


This is one of my favorite desserts. I got the recipe from a Utah ward cookbook about 10 years ago. Everytime I make it someone asks for the recipe, so here it is. (picture courtesy of flickr).


CHOCOLATE ECLAIR CAKE


1 box of graham crackers (3 sleeves)
2 small packages of vanilla pudding
1 (8 oz.) container of cool whip
3 1/2 C. milk
1 1/2 containers of store bought chocolate frosting


In a 9 X 13 pan place a layer of whole graham crackers to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Mix together the pudding and milk. Fold in the cool whip. Pour half of the pudding mixture over the top of the crackers. Add another layer of graham crackers. In a microwave safe bowl heat up the frosting for about 30 seconds-to make it runny enough to spread easily over the crackers. Spread onto the graham crackers you just laid down. Pour the rest of the pudding mixture over the frosting, even out, and place one more layer of crackers on top. Frost the top layer with the warm frosting. Chill for at least 6 hours.


*I 'improved' the recipe by adding the layer of chocolate frosting in the middle. If you don't care to do this than you will only need 1 can of frosting. If you're a chocolate lover like myself than you wouldn't even think of leaving it out.


*I would also strongly suggest that you make this dessert the night before you plan on serving it-or first thing in the morning. That way the graham crackers are nice and soft.



Yum Yum! Enjoy.




3 comments:

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

Are you trying to kill me? Looking at that alone tempts me to throw my diet out the window. I'm glad you liked it. I love your improvision too but adding another layer of chocolate. That's SOOO something I would do. It needs more chocolate.

Have you tried making the frosting on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa can?? You'll never buy frosting again.

Shan said...

I loved hearing that song!! I think I liked it better that way than when Taylor swift sings it, and I love it her way!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Andi said...

I love that cake!! I need to make some.