Monday, January 25, 2010

Going Shootin'

I've been married to an avid hunter for 15 years now, I own a gun (a birthday gift from my hubby), and I've never been shooting-until now.

That's my man, looking all professional with his gun (along with my BIL & SIL):
A couple of weekends ago Kerry and Amber (below) went out shooting on one of their dates.
When I heard about that, I figured it was Kerry's idea. But no, it was actually Amber's idea-and she loved it! So, somehow we got invited to go out shooting with them.

*Please excuse the horrifying pics of me below. It's hard to 'suck it in' and show your best side when you're holding a deadly weapon.
I actually did pretty well shooting shot gun shells with this gun-once I figured out how to use the scope. It's harder to hold a gun then I thought. It gets heavy after awhile.

This is Gordon, cheating, by using that interesting little device that holds the gun for him.

Here's Kerry and Kory. Kory's sitting in a little contraption (don't you just love all my technical terminology) that shoots clay pidgeons, and Kerry's getting ready to shot.
And now, the scariest part of the evening, shooting a hand gun:


That baby is loud, and really 'kicks'. If you don't hold on really tight that thing just might get away from you!
So there you have it, my first shooting experience. Not bad. Kinda' fun. Guns still make me nervous.



2 comments:

Emily and John said...

Looks like you had fun Andrea! I showed this post to John and he was able to identify all the guns in the pictures. :) Oh and that guy was using a very large "bipod" (Shooting sticks, John says) to rest his rifle on.
So yeah, pistols DO kick!! Holy cow! And you're right you do have to hold them VERY tight. Not just because they can get away from you but also because if shooting accuracy. When it kicks, when not held well, the bullet flies upward instead of in a straight line toward your target.
It really isn't so bad shooting once you get out there and do it huh? ;)

Mom said...

Well, you look very "professional" there in the last picture. :-D

I have to admit that shooting can be fun, but also a bit painful in the shoulder at times! :-P It looks like you were all having a good time,though.