Thursday, March 4, 2010

Why didn't I think of that sooner?


When it comes to putting away the clean laundry I have good intentions.



I have a pretty good method in place for the kids clothes. Once the clothes come out of the dryer they are immediately transfered to my giant folding table (a.k.a the pool table), where they are folded and put into each child's individual basket. When the basket gets full, the kids are in charge of taking it upstairs and putting their clothes away. Then they return the emptied out basket back to it's original spot on the pool table for me to fill again the next day.


The problem is what to do with the clothes for me and Kory that need to be hung up. The folded stuff isn't a big deal, I pretty much do the same thing with our folded clothes as the kids do, but when I come upstairs hauling all the 'to be hung' clothing, I usually set those on my cedar chest while I start putting away the folded clothes. Then something inevitably happens, and I'm called downstairs to handle a crisis. Either that, or I'm just in a hurry, and I leave the clothes on the cedar chest 'to be hung up later'. Yah, right. This is what my cedar chest looks like 90% of the time (yes, those are all clean clothes):



This is what is supposed to look like:



Then, a couple of days ago, it all the sudden dawned on me. 'If I could just hang up those clothes as they come out of the dryer then most of the work would be done for me before I take them upstairs'. It wouldn't take any more effort to hang them in the closet then it would to lay them on the cedar chest.

So, enter the cheap $10 hanging system (which my kids already think is a fun, new, 'rolling' toy, and I'm sure it will be broken in a couple of weeks):

Seriously, why didn't I think of this years ago?

So what do you guys do to make laundry easier? My sister actually does a load of laundry every day-then she's never behind. Me? I get a little depressed doing it everyday (I've tried).

It works better for me to have 3 scheduled 'laundry days' a week. Although if I could get it together enough to do it everyday, I might not have piles like this all the time.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Wow, that was only $10?! That way you can also hang things up while they are still warm and reduce wrinkling, too. What a great investment! (Did you get it at Wal-Mart?)

Andrea said...

Yep, Wally's world. I also like that I can hang things to air dry.

Mandy said...

I hate laundry... I feel like if I don't do 1-2 loads/day, then it gets out of control and then before you know it, Tyler is telling me he is out of underwear at 9:00 at night. I don't do the catch up game very well.
I have found that hanging up right out of the laundry does make a big difference though.

Andi said...

That is a great idea! I hate putting clothes away.