Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Airing out my dirty laundry

Yesterday was laundry day. I have 3 laundry days a week. I just wanted to share with you the amount of laundry a family of 6 goes through in 3 days. Yes, this is 3 days worth. Oh, and did I mention that there is a load in the washer and dryer too? Well, there's always a load in the dryer, I can't quite get on top of that one. These piles (and what's in the washer) made up 7 loads of laundry. While I was sorting these piles yesterday my mind was wandering to the previous lessons I had on Sunday. One of them was a lesson my husband taught to the Priesthood brethen and RS sisters. It was on finances. My mind then wandered to paying interest and I started thinking about the following quote (I got this from a talk Pres. Monson gave-I don't know if he was the original writer of this or not):

“Interest never sleeps nor sickens nor dies; it never goes to the hospital; it works on Sundays and holidays; it never takes a vacation; it never visits nor travels; it takes no pleasure; it is never laid off work nor discharged from employment; it never works on reduced hours. … Once in debt, interest is your companion every minute of the day and night; you cannot shun it or slip away from it; you cannot dismiss it; it yields neither to entreaties, demands, or orders; and whenever you get in its way or cross its course or fail to meet its demands, it crushes you.”
I have heard this quote many times, and while I was standing there, feeling like I was never going to see the bottom of the laundry basket a thought occurred to me. Laundry is like interest.
And, in the interest of interest-I mean laundry, I revised the above quote to fit my analogy.
Hope you like it:
Laundry never sleeps nor sickens nor dies; it piles up on Sundays and holidays; it never takes a vacation; it takes away your leisure time; it never stops accumulating. From the moment you put on your first article of clothing, or use a towel to dry off with, laundry is your companion every minute of the day and night; you cannot shun it, you cannot dismiss it-unless you don't mind wearing dirty underwear. And whenever you miss a laundry day, and fail to keep on top of it-It crushes you!!

6 comments:

Mom said...

Your revised "quote" is great! It, and the picture, bring back such "fond" memories. :-P Now days, however, I have to go searching for things that need to be washed in order to have enough items to justify running the washer and dryer! I've even gotten to where I have to wash the whites and coloreds together just to fill the machine (this actually has worked better than I thought it would, except for the time Dad's new garments ended up a really pretty PINK)!

Becky said...

I'm laughing so hard! That is so true! Very insightful Andrea!

Jenni said...

That's hilarious Andrea. How clever. How true.

amber:) said...

Amen sister!! you have seen my laundry room- er office.

Mindie said...

I agree! Laundry is NEVER ending! I dont mind putting it in the washer and then the dryer, but I HATE (yes tell your hubby I said HATE) folding and putting it away! This i'm quite sure is why the Lord blessed me with 3 Daughter!

Emily and John said...

LOL! That was funny!!
I noticed that John and I have a TON of laundry (mostly cause he has a lot of clothes! More than me even!) and one day while I was doing the laundry I thought to myself...if this laundry is bad now think of how it will be when we have kids!!