Monday, March 16, 2009

A yummy meal, and some randomness

Whew! Am I ever glad last week is over with. Not only were both Kaylee and Kory sick with the flu, I had a RS b-day dinner program to practise and attend (which turned out totally awesome thanks to Jamie and Katie), and I also had 6 tests! Yes, I said 6. One in Math, 3 in Nutrition, and 2 in Psychology. So, now you know why I haven't blogged in awhile.

I suppose I'll start out with my 'Meals for Mom's like Me Monday' since it is Monday, and I've totally been slacking in this category. Here we go with ' BBQ Teriyaki Chicken'.

You will need about 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long.
Also, you will need wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for at least a few hours-this will keep them from burning up too quickly.

Mix together:
1/2 C. soy sauce
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. sesame seeds
1 tsp. ginger
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. oil

Place meat in a large glass or plastic container. Cover with above marinade. It will look like this:

Place in the fridge for several hours (I would say at least 6) and turn meat strips a few times so that they are well marinaded. Before BBQ'ing run wet skewer in and out of chicken strip until it looks 'lightly gathered'. BBQ over medium heat until done. I would have to say it probably only takes 10-15 minutes total, if not less. Here is what the finished product looks like:

Yum Yum. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't love this recipe, even Audree-who only eats 3 different things-will eat this. The hardest part about the recipe is cutting up the chicken-which I use kitchen shears for-and putting it on the skewers. Anyone can do it.
Okay, onto other random things. Last month I decided to get crafty and do something fun for my VT ladies. I broke out the 'ole stamps and went to town. I haven't stamped in ages. Here's the cards I made:

Then I bought some little heart shaped dishes and made some oreo truffles. Don't they look professional? They are very rich and unbelievably good if I do say so myself!

Then I filled the rest of the dish with some misc. chocolate candy:

I wrapped them all in cellophane and attached the card. Boy, I was feeling crafty last month!
Okay, the next bit of randomness includes the 'Cat in the Hat', and here she is:
Complete with a tail.

Audree's kindergarten teacher is super crafty and does all sorts of fun stuff with them. They dressed up like this for Dr. Suesses B-day.
And the last bit of randomness is that yesterday I was called to be the new Activity Day's leader. Wahoo! This will be my 3rd time as AD leader. We have a fun group of girls-Kaylee being one of them, she's pretty excited that I'm going to be her leader. When she asked what we were going to do for our first activity I said, "Well, it needs to be church-related, so I think we will all sit down and read the scriptures for an hour". Of course her reply was, "Moooooooooom!"
On that note, I was looking up some fun ideas for activities to do with the girls and I came across one on service. A lady suggested teaching the girls how to use a lawnmower (check the oil, the gas, show them how to start it, etc) then have them each take turns mowing part of your lawn.
Seriously? I love that idea! Kory was totally on board with it too. Then, after they learned how to mow a lawn, you could take them to someone in the ward's house that may need their lawn mowed (like an elderly person, or someone who can't get around real well) and mow their lawn.
Not a bad idea. What is your guys' opinion? Can you imagine the girls showing up at my house, all ready to do some fun craft, and I say, "Alright girls! Let's go outside, we're going to mow my lawn!" I can just see their faces now :-)

5 comments:

Rob and Shannon LaFontaine said...

So I think you should read my mind every Monday! The last recipe was a variation of tacos and I was planning to make tacos for dinner. This week I was thinking of doing plain ol' BBQ chicken for dinner, and then I stumbled across your terriyaki BBQ chicken recipe! How great are you?! I don't have scewers, so I'm just going to marinade the entire chicken breast half and grill it whole, but I think it will still be fantastic. Thanks! :)

Mom said...

WOW, what a wonderful Visiting teacher you are!!! I'll bet your ladies were thrilled to see you coming! :-D

I take it you were released as Primary President if you are now the Achievement Day leader.

Service projects are always a great idea. As for mowing the lawn...if the girls get to use a power mower they will probably be all for that; although, how many lawns, besides yours, are there to mow in Bullhead!? Maybe you ought to teach them how to use a "rock rake" and "blower" instead!:-P

Erika Cluff said...

Man I thought 2 tests in one week was bad - but six!!? I am glad you survived. I think mowing the lawn for achievement days is a great idea - then when you are all finished you could show them how to make homemade lemonade! That would be tasty treat.

Shan said...

That is a cute idea, to have them mow the lawn. As long as you have a fantastic treat, I don't think they will complain!! They could make homemade ice cream in a bag. I put that recipe in the cookbook, if you like the idea.

I think you are so stinkin crafty, I love it. Thanks for always sharing your ideas with us!! I just used some of your cards the other day that I got from the auction, and loved it!! Thanks!!
And I love your bag, thanks for sending me the picture!!!

Mindie said...

So for some reason after I leave your blog I aways want to eat... Strange huh? Anyhoo would it be bad for me to just go ahead and add myself to you VT list? I mean whats one more??? You are so fantastic and I just love you to pieces! xoxox