Saturday, January 17, 2009

Do-it-all-Debbie

When I was a little girl I remember my Mom planning a sharing time about 4 different mother's who had different styles of helping their children learn how to do things (or not learn how to do things). I only really remember 2 of the mother's. One mother lovingly taught her children how to do their chores so that they would be self-reliant, and the other mother just did all the chores around the house herself. That mother was 'Debbie-do-it-all'. Only I don't think my mom named her that because that is her name. She was probably Dolores, or some other 'D' name.

Anyway, as she was drawing up the little pictures to go along with her lesson I told my mother that she was definitely a 'do-it-all' kind of a mother. I thought that she would be flattered, but she wasn't. She said that she needed to be more like the mommy who taught her children how to work for themselves. Of course I knew what that meant. That meant we were going to be doing a lot more chores around the house.

Although my house is never really sparkling clean at all times, and I do encourage my children to help me out with the cleaning but, their are just certain jobs that a mother feels the need to have done correctly. Like, for instance, loading the dishwasher (if everything isn't all strategically placed, it's just not going to fit), doing the laundry is another big job, and the other is cleaning bathrooms.

Well, today I was the good mother who showed her children how to do something, and to do it right. (Mainly because their Dad bribed them with a dollar if they would help Mommy clean things up while he was out paintballing) and after running out of simple little tasks-like putting the laundry away, I accidently let it slip that the bathrooms could use a good cleaning.

So, here are my little darlings doing their part to have a clean house. We first started off with Audree in the downstairs bathroom, then Sophee kept trying to come in and help (she wasn't going to miss out on that dollar) and it was getting just a little too crowded, so I told her she could do the upstairs bath.

When we're helping we're happy and we sing as we go . . .

Audree's finished product.
A better look:
Soph is digging right in:

Since the mirror in this bathroom is so big Audree decided that she needed to help:

Shining the faucet. Just look at how happy it makes her to help her mom! (Yah right-she's thinking of the money).

All done!
And we like to help Mother for we all love her so!

6 comments:

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

I'm trying out your comments! I hope it works!

amber:) said...

I am just so excited that you have joined blogland! It is so much fun, and a little addicting *wink* but it's also the best journal for me, and it's great that my friends and family far away can share in all the "adventures" we have. So yea!! your here.

Mom said...

It's so FUNNY that you brought up those posters as I as just cleaning out our filing cabinet last week (after 35 years!) and was amazed to discover that I STILL have them!!! I made them for a RS mini-class that I had been asked to do on "teaching your children to work". Actually, the names of the mothers were "Do-it-all Dora", "Nurturer Nancy", and "Slave-driver Sybil". It's amazing (and somewhat SCARY) what seemingly "insignificant things" your kids remember many, MANY years later!!! I'm glad though, as proven by the cute pictures of the girls, that you have taken my lesson (instead of my example!) to heart and are working on being a "Nancy Nurturer". ;-D

Becky said...

I love this post! I'm definately a do it yourselfer. Not by choice, but because after asking my kids nicely, then asking them sternly, then making threats, then grounding them, I still end up doing the chore anyway, but this time there is a crapy feeling in my home. I've unfortuntely gotten to the point that it's more peaceful in my home when I just do it myself. That said, I am trying to do better. As we speak Austin is moping the family room. Little miracles. :-)

Andrea said...

Becky, I remember your post about Andrew mowing the lawn and was so impressed by what a hard worker you guys have raised. We are looking into getting a push mower so that we can have Josh learn to mow the lawn.

Mindie said...

Cute blog! I loved your story. My house is not always how i would do it either, but i'm glad my girls are learning. You should email me your email and i'll send you an invite to our blog! minbaxter@hotmail.com