Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My personal chef

Many times I have said that, given the choice between a nanny, a housekeeper, and a chef, I would definitely choose a chef-without delay! Some of you that know me well know that I hate to cook. I hate it. I don't like coming up with idea's for dinner, remembering to thaw things in advance, preparing it while children are underfoot-or trying to 'help', and then having those same children complain, "This looks yucky", or "I don't like that!" It's a thankless job (or maybe it's just my cooking-go figure). To make matters worse, my husband and I have pretty different tastes. He is definitely a meat and potatoes kind of a guy. Me, I'm a little more into chicken, and really don't care all that much about meat. One of my favorite things to have for dinner is breakfast, but that doesn't really fly all that well when your husband comes home from a hard day's work and wants something filling-and manly. Serving pancakes and syrup for dinner is a crime, and quite frankly, he gets a little irritated when I do it, so I try to save those occasions for when Daddy has a meeting, or is out of town.

Moving along with my story, I got a really awesome Christmas present from my hubby this year. I've been wanting one for a couple of years now. Here it is:

Yes, it's a BBQ. Quite frankly, I would've been happy with the cheapest model, but if you know my husband, that's not how he rolls.

I'm sure some of you women out there are thinking, "A BBQ'er? For real?" Yes, for real. I've long since given up on jewelry and decided to ask for more practical things. This BBQ'er is the closest thing I have to a personal chef. Why? you may ask, well, check out who's doing the cooking! You see, men are naturally drawn to fire. If there's a chance that something could burn down-they're going to be there!

We tried out my new BBQ a couple of days ago, and since it was the first time, we decided to go all out and get some steaks (which is a rare occurence, trust me).

Check it out, he doesn't even mind cooking-as long as it's outside!

Okay, so I realize I do still have to remember to thaw out the meat, and maybe slap a little marinade on there but, hey, it's still worth it. Especially since we love BBQ'ed food. And, every once in a while Kory will call and ask what's for dinner, and when I say "Well, I don't really have anything planned", he says, "I'll go pick up some food and we'll have a BBQ". Love that!!
Then, if all else fails and your kids still say, "This is disgusting". You just say, "Daddy made it".

P.S. I plan to start doing a cooking post every Monday (hopefully-if I can stay on top of things). It will be called "Meals-for-Mom's-like-me-Monday" and it will consist of very, very, simple dinner idea's that I have tried. I don't do fancy schmancy. So, anyway, this Monday I'm going to share my really simple, really delicious steak marinade (or you can put it on burgers). So stay tuned.

3 comments:

amber:) said...

i am mucho intrigued! can't wait to see your recipes.

Mom said...

You are DEFINITELY my daughter!!! I agree 100% with the preference for a cook over anything else! I also, LOVE our BBQ (the one that all of you gave us for Christmas several years ago) for the same reason...Dad (who HATES to cook) LOVES to stand over the grill and BBQ away!! It has been a few years, now, since I have had to deal with the "ordeal" of Sunday dinner (roast, mashed potatoes, carrots, etc). Now Dad enthusiastically BBQs up some steaks, chicken or salmon, I bake up some tator-tots in the toaster oven, throw some veggies in the microwave, open a can of fruit, pour the milk and...there you have it...effortless (almost messless)SUNDAY DINNER!!! Yay for husbands who love to BBQ!!! :-D Now, I am looking forward to your "Monday Menus"...YUM!

Shan said...

Hey, I ran across your blog from Ambers!! I want to add you to my blog list, can I? Email me and I can add you to mine!!shanphillipp@yahoo.com
We miss all of you tons!!