Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sometimes you just have to let them go . . .

. . . but make sure they have clothes on when you do.

Okay, so the kids have recently started playing outside, without my supervision, somewhere other than our backyard. I've always been paranoid to let them play anywhere else, and luckily, since our backyard is pretty big, it has been able to keep them interested-until now. The problem is that there is a limited amount of concrete on which to ride their scooters/bikes. So, I've been letting them go across the street and down into the cul-de-sac. I feel that this is a pretty safe place to play, and I can easily go check on them. Here's them heading off:

(At the time Josh and Kaylee's bikes where in need of a little repair. Kaylee's bike just needed new tubes, so we did that, now we need to get new tubes, a chain, and a brake line for Josh's bike-but they've been good about sharing with each other.)

Anyway, the other day I was scrambling to get some things picked up and dinner started and the girls decided that they wanted to go ride bikes so I willing agreed and they raced out the back door. About 30 minutes later they get back from their ride and Sophee wanders into the house in nothing but her underwear!! (It was a pretty windy and chilly day too).

How could I have missed that? Oh what would her father say if he knew? What were the neighbors thinking? She didn't even have shoes on! "Kaylee!" I quickly accused, "How could you let your sister go outside in her underwear?" (Of course this was after I promptly scolded Sophee for doing so, and told her that she always should have clothes on when going outside).
Apparently they were so excited to get out the door that Kaylee, who was leading the way, didn't notice until they got down the road. She did tell me that they put Audree's coat on her. She must've taken it off and given it back to Audree before they got in the house. So, let this be a lesson, even if you are anxious for the kids to go outside and play so that you can get a few things done in peace, please take a quick look at them and make sure they're not in their underwear!

2 comments:

Mom said...

How funny!! Well, at least Soph had on underware as she rode through the neighborhood...that's more that can be said for a couple of her cousins! :-D

Becky said...

That is hilarious! It does remind me of the time when Andrew was about 3 years old and decided to take a bike ride down the road nude... and was yelling at the top of his lungs "I'm Naked, I'm Naked, I'm Naked!"