Monday, June 22, 2009

Sewing lessons

So my SIL talked me into doing some little sewing lessons with my niece and Kaylee this summer.

Their first project was a pillow case. The girls had fun making them, and I think they turned out really cute. Here's Kaylee with hers:



As usual, whatever the older child does, the younger ones feel the need to do the same, so when I was in Phoenix last weekend I picked up some fabric for Audree and Soph to do these pillow cases:

And just a side note, when you ask your 6 year old to plug the iron in for you because you're in the middle of helping the 5 year old sew her pillowcase, it would be a good idea to make sure that the iron is in the upright position. As I was sewing with Sophee I started to smell something burning. I turned around and saw the iron laying down on the board. This was the result:

Oh well, if that was the only accident we had, then I can't complain. At least it was on the ironing board and not their new pillowcases.

3 comments:

Mindie said...

Where do I sign up? I need sewing lessons BAD!!! ( Umm side note- I don’t iron either. Yep I’m pretty much a hot mess!!) LOL

Shan said...

Ah!! I am so proud!!! I have a ton of easy sewing patterns for girls, if you would like to use any of them. Some of them are made just for teaching kids how to sew, so they learn how to use the pattern and everything.

Mom said...

What a fun and cute project for the girls! I'm glad you are beginning to teach them to sew (and iron :-P)as it is definitely becoming a "lost art". I'll look forward to seeing their new pillow cases when you come on Friday.